Academic Arrangements for Winter and Spring Terms 2020/21
(Updated: Nov 13, 2020. This page will be updated as needed based on the latest situation.)
Mode of Delivery
Class arrangements for the Winter term (January 4 – 30, 2021) and Spring term (February 1 – May 28, 2021) will be almost identical to the University have had in the Fall term. Specifically,
- During the Winter term, all classes will be held in mixed-mode (i.e., students participate in a class either in-person or online), while still observing the social distancing measures and other relevant guidelines, with the exceptions laid out in point 4 below.
- During the Add-Drop period of the Spring term, all classes will be held in real-time online mode, with the possible exceptions mentioned in points 4d and 4e below.
- After the Add-Drop period of the Spring term, all classes will be held in mixed-mode (i.e., students participate in a class either in-person or online) while still observing the social distancing measures and other relevant guidelines, with the exceptions laid out in point 4 below.
- The following exceptions to points 1 and 3 will apply in the Winter and Spring terms:
- All classes with enrolments greater than 75 will only be held in real-time online mode.
- All Language classes will only be held in real-time online mode.
- Some UG classes may remain online in the interest of educational quality, e.g., due to the nature of class interactions, group work, etc. The details for specific classes will be announced by instructors later.
- Lab classes will make their own arrangements.
- TPg programs may make their own arrangements.
General Thoughts about Planning
It is reiterated that the mixed-mode arrangements are for selected classes and are auxiliary to the real-time online mode. These arrangements will not disadvantage students who are physically outside Hong Kong or feel uncomfortable in coming to campus. Students, regardless of local or non-local, are not required to be physically on campus to complete the class and examination arrangements. Students who are not in Hong Kong are advised not to make travel plans just because of the optional mixed-mode arrangements. Indeed, based on the experience of some students who changed their plans in the middle of the Fall term, non-local students are advised to contact your academic advisor if needed and then make a firm decision well in time for the entire Winter/Spring term, rather than changing plans on the basis of the fluctuating pandemic situation in the middle of the term. Opportunities for face to face interactions and mixed-mode delivery in classes will depend on the pandemic situation and restrictions may need to be imposed at any time.
To address some common inquiries on academic arrangements, more information is available on FAQ page.
Feedback and Enquiries:
Student records, registration, examinations and graduation:
Specific programs and courses including laboratory courses:
Respective Schools/Departments and Program Directors
Student Housing : SHRLO firstname.lastname@example.org
Quarantine Arrangements: https://covid19info.ust.hk/quarantine-arrangements
Campus Health and Safety: HSEO email@example.com
Information on Academic Arrangements for Fall Term 2020/21 could be retrieved from