Teaching and Learning (Updated on 30 Aug)
Academic Arrangements for Fall Term 2021/22
It is the University’s intention to resume normal teaching and learning activities on campus in Fall 2021/22. Therefore, the targeted default mode of delivery for classes held in Fall will be in-person on campus with some exceptions
The University encourages creative assessment methods as alternatives to proctored examinations. For courses requiring proctored final examinations in the 2020/21 academic year, they are conducted via real-time online mode. In Fall Term 2021/22, the proctored examinations, for courses which need them, will be held on campus. Alternative arrangements will be made for students who cannot be in Hong Kong.
- Training on Zoom Teaching
- Good Practices and FAQs for Zoom Teaching
- Pre recorded video lectures to supplement Zoom teaching
- Other collaboration tools in Canvas
- Online Exams using Canvas
- Have difficulties accessing Canvas
Accessing Canvas and other Online Resources from Mainland China
The webpage provides instructions on how to speed up the access from Mainland China to Canvas and other online resources at HKUST. Zoom has servers inside Mainland China and will automatically route users in Mainland China to servers there, even when students join the Zoom classes from within the Canvas course site.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES IN CLASSROOMS AND LECTURE THEATERS
Personal Hygiene and Health Monitoring
- Temperature screening will be required at student halls, library and catering outlets.
- All University members are encouraged to monitor their temperature daily. When you use the Remote Fever Self-checking Stations, you may take a photo of the display with the date and green box as a proof of normal temperature for the day.
- Instructors may require compulsory temperature checking of attendees either by a non-contact handheld thermometer, or showing a photo of temperature self-checking on that day.
- Staff and students who have a fever or respiratory symptoms should not attend classes and should seek medical assistance right away.
- Members should maintain hand hygiene at all time, and make use of hand sanitizers which will be provided at or near all classrooms and lecture theaters.
Classroom Preventive Measures
- With the implementation of the vaccination or regular testing requirements, classrooms and lecture theatres will resume normal seating capacity. Users are reminded to follow all preventive measures.
- Instructors are recommended to take attendance of those physically present in case there is a need for contact tracing.
- Ventilation and environmental cleaning in classrooms and lecture theaters will be maintained at a high level.
- Instructors and students are required to wear masks in classrooms. Masks with exhalation valves should not be used because these allow aerosols to escape unfiltered. Also face shields cannot replace face masks as they can only block large droplets.
- All students are requested to comply with preventive measures as informed by their instructors, and may be requested to leave the classroom in case of refusal.
Application of GERMAGIC Antimicrobial Coating
- The Campus Management Office (CMO) has applied GERMAGIC antimicrobial coating periodically to classrooms and lecture theaters.
- Should an instructor or student who had attended f2f classes test positive for COVID-19, he/she should file an online report at the COVID-19 portal page, under COVID-19 Related Reporting.
- Any class(es) the patient had attended f2f in the last 14 days shall revert to pure on-line mode for the next 14 days.
- Established procedures will be followed to inform instructors and students teaching or taking the same courses as the patient.