Quarantine Arrangements in the 2020-21 Academic Year
Since students do not need to be physically present on campus to complete the class and examination requirements in the Fall/Winter/Spring terms, non-local students who are currently not in Hong Kong are advised not to make any travel plans coming to Hong Kong.
- For those who have already booked the quarantine facilities, no matter where they come from, we will continue to support their quarantine, but they have to follow all the Government requirements. Please find the latest requirements from this link. On the other hand, if they want to cancel the booking, they will be allowed and refund will be arranged.
If students who are assigned a hall place in 2020/21 still want to come to the campus, they need to contact the relevant office shown below and the University will try to provide quarantine support to them, according to the following priority:
- New RPG and UG
- Continuing UG
- Students from very high-risk places or any country outside China*, only after they have fulfilled all HK Government requirements, and if space is available
- Support will be first come first served, based on the priority of support mentioned above.
If you live on campus, and anyone in your household is undergoing compulsory quarantine, you and others in the household should stay in the residence as far as possible, and the staff member should work from home until the quarantine period has expired. Staff members living off campus in the same situation are required to work from home.
New! Specified conditions imposed on inbound travellers who have visited specified places can be found at this link.
- Group A specified places (Extremely high-risk) are Brazil, Ireland, South Africa and the United Kingdom. People who have stayed in specified Group A specified places (Extremely high-risk) for more than two hours on the day of boarding or during the 21 days before that day (the relevant period) are not be allowed to board for Hong Kong.
- Group B specified places (Very high-risk) are Bangladesh, Belgium, Canada, Ecuador, Ethiopia, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, Romania, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, and the USA. People who have stayed in the specified places during the 21-day relevant period have to present a negative result proof of a nucleic acid test for COVID-19 conducted within 72 hours before the scheduled time of departure of the aircraft; and confirmation in English or Chinese of room reservation in a designated quarantine hotel in Hong Kong for not less than 21 nights starting on the day of the arrival of the relevant traveller in Hong Kong.
- Group C specified places (Medium to high-risk) are all places except Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, which are not specified places of Group A or Group B. People who have stayed in the specified places during the 21-day relevant period have to present confirmation in English or Chinese of room reservation in a designated quarantine hotel in Hong Kong for not less than 21 nights starting on the day of the arrival of the relevant traveller in Hong Kong.
People arriving in Hong Kong from all locations other than Mainland China, Macau and Taiwan need to undertake 21 days quarantine at one of the current list of designated quarantine hotels (valid until February 19, 2021) approved by the Hong Kong Government. For details, please visit this webpage. New! The Government has announced the list of the designated quarantine hotels for the second cycle. These Designated Hotels for the second cycle will provide rooms to travellers planning to arrive at Hong Kong between February 20 and April 20, 2021 (see the Government's announcement). New!
Please note that based on multiple confirmations with Department of Health officials, quarantine at home (including staff quarters) is NOT an option for people returning from any places outside Mainland China, Macau or Taiwan.
The University’s quarantine support arrangements are as follow:
- All staff and students arriving in Hong Kong from all locations other than Mainland China, Macau and Taiwan, must undertake 21 days quarantine at one of the hotels approved by the Government. They must book an inclusive room and food and beverage (F&B) rate and select a hotel from the Government’s approved list. The hotel list and detailed instructions can be found via the following link. All staff and students must have negative COVID-19 test results at key stages during the quarantine period before the whole process can be completed. These COVID-19 tests will be arranged by the Government.
- All staff and students arriving in Hong Kong from Mainland China, Macau or Taiwan, must also undertake 14 days quarantine but this can be done at their home residence. Students with a University hostel place and new staff members with on-campus accommodation should undertake quarantine at Conference Lodge (CL) but NOT use their University hostel or staff quarter for quarantine.
- The cost of the quarantine must be paid for by staff and students in full. For new staff eligible for on-campus accommodation and for existing staff granted exceptional approval for business travel, the cost of quarantine excluding F&B will be reimbursable by the University.
- The University has agreed a discounted rate for quarantine in Nina Hotel Island South (formerly L’hotel Island South) and CL. In both cases the room rate is $470 per night. For Nina Hotel, staff and students must book an inclusive room with F&B plan (at an additional cost of $100 per night). From now until June 19, 2021, a daily allotment of ten (10) rooms will be provided to HKUST members at the discounted rate on a first come first served basis. All reservations should be made 10 days prior to arrival date. Any requests made after the cut-off date will be subject to the Hotel’s availability. For CL, the reservation is room only and staff and students are able to order F&B items from an on-campus catering outlet, including the CL kitchen when open.
- All staff and students wanting to arrange quarantine at Nina Hotel should book with the Hotel directly via Ms. Rebecca Lee, Sales Coordinator, contact telephone: +852 3968 8811; email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Nina Hotel will verify with CSO regarding user's identity upon booking.
- All staff and students (who return from Mainland China, Macau or Taiwan) wanting to arrange quarantine at CL should contact respective offices as previously communicated to confirm eligibility and complete online booking. If there is no availability in CL, then staff and students should make their own quarantine arrangements off-campus. If you have any questions about the quarantine and booking arrangement, please contact the relevant offices:
- URAO for new UG: email@example.com
- SHRLO for continuing UG: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Schools for new and continuing RPG
- Taught PG: respective Program Offices
- CSO for existing faculty and staff with exceptional approval for business travel: email@example.com
- HRO for newly recruited faculty and staff: firstname.lastname@example.org